This cake is light and delicate, so use a metal spoon or whisk attachment as opposed to a paddle beater when folding to keep the air in the cake and maintain its fluffy texture.
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 165 grams caster sugar
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime rind
- 150 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 125 grams unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 170 grams canned granadilla pulp
- 1⁄2 cup condensed milk
- cup dark rumCOCONUT TOPPING
- 1 tin coconut cream, unopened, unshaken, refrigerated for at least 2 hours
- 300 ml heavy cream 2 Tbsp. icing sugarTO SERVE
- 2 Tbsp. granadilla pulp
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 lime, zested
PREHEAT oven to 180°C. Grease a 22 cm x 33 cm x 4 cm baking tin. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5 cm over each side.
BEAT eggs, sugar and rind in a bowl with an electric mixer until pale and thick.
SIFT flour and baking powder twice through a fine mesh sieve, in a separate bowl. Sift this a third time evenly on to the egg mixture and fold in until well combined. Fold in the butter.
POUR into the baking dish and tilt tin