This hearty breakfast menu of spicy baked eggs with oat flapjacks is just the right comfort breakfast meal for the weekend.
For the oat flapjacks:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Jungle Oats
- 1t sugar
- 1T baking powder
- 1t bicarbonate of soda
- 1t salt
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- 4T vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
For the spicy baked eggs:
- 2T olive oil
- 4 sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1t smoked paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1t sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
ANOTHER BREAKFAST TO TRY: BREAKFAST TARTLETS WITH CARROT, ORANGE AND GINGER SMOOTHIE
To make the flapjacks:
- Place flour, Jungle Oats, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk, oil and eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients then mix well to combine.
- Heat a lightly greased frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake.
- Brown on both sides and serve hot.
To make the spiced baked eggs:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a pan (one that can go straight into the oven), then add the oil and brown the sausages on all sides.
- Remove the sausages from the pan and set aside, then add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the paprika, tomatoes and sugar, then cook for 2 minutes.
- Slice the sausages, add them to the tomato mix then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a wooden spoon to make 4 gaps in the mixture then crack the eggs into the holes.
- Place the entire pan into the oven, then bake for 8 minutes (bake for longer if you prefer your eggs more cooked).
- Serve the baked eggs on top of the flapjacks.
(This recipes serves 4 people)