Jacqueline Van Zyl, blogger and new mom, is passionate about healthy eating. Try her delicious rye health bread recipe.
- 350g rye flour
- 1½t baking powder
- 1½t salt
- 1t bicarbonate of soda
- 1t cream of tartar
- ¼ cup (125g) oats
- ¼ cup (125ml) seeds (I like to use a mixture pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds & flax seeds)
- 2T honey
- 1 cup 250ml warm water
- 1 cup 250ml milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a loaf tin.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add the oats and seeds.
- In a separate bowl or jug, dissolve the honey in the warm water. Add milk, the egg, mixing until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until it all comes together. Don’t worry if the dough seems wet at this stage, this will result in a deliciously moist and light bread. Place the dough in the tin, level the top and cut a 1cm deep line down the middle of the bread with a wet knife (this gives the bread a beautiful shape and crust).
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out on a wire rack to cool completely. If you slice it immediately, it will be a bit gooey in the centre. Serve with the roasted beetroot hummus.
COOKS TIP: Sprinkle seeds in the greased loaf tin before adding the dough; they’ll stick to the crust and look beautiful.
(This recipe makes 1 loaf)