There’s certainly no lack of style when Angela Steur, design director of Design of the Times (011 447 2258), entertains. Here are her recipes for a stress-free summer spread
- 6–8 boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 250ml cream, whipped
- 15ml mayonnaise
- 10ml gelatine, dissolved in a little water
- caviar and Tabasco, to serve
For the melba toast:
- 12 slices white bread
1. To make the Melba toast: preheat your oven’s grill and lightly toast the bread on both sides. Using a sharp knife, cut through the middle of each piece so you have two slices. Turn the oven to 100°C; place the slices on an oven rack soft side up and leave to dry overnight. In the morning, turn the oven up to 140°C and toast the bread, keeping watch until the slices turn golden brown. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
2. To make the egg mousse: mix all the ingredients together, place them in a serving dish and allow to set in the fridge.
3. Top the egg mousse with caviar just before serving with the Melba toast. Allow your guests to add a few drops of Tabasco to taste.
This recipe serves 6.