A relaxing brunch with a new take on old favourites is a great way to celebrate the weekend
- 125ml water
- 80ml milk
- 1 orange, juiced
- 10ml orange zest
- 5ml lemon or grapefruit zest
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 star anise
- 150g wholewheat couscous
- 15ml butter
- 20ml brown sugar
- 75g nuts, such as almonds, pecan nuts, walnuts, chopped
- 75g dried fruits, such as sultanas, raisins, dried figs, dried cranberries, chopped
- 10g coconut shavings, toasted
- Greek-style yoghurt
- Place the water, milk, orange juice, orange zest, lemon or grapefruit zest, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and star anise in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot mixture over it.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a plate and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous, using a fork and add the butter, sugar, nuts, dried fruits and coconut shavings.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled with yoghurt and honey.
SERVE WITH: CARROT, GINGER AND PINEAPPLE JUICE
- 500g carrots, washed
- 1 pineapple, peeled and quartered
- 20ml fresh ginger, peeled
- 10ml lemon juice
- 1ml ground ginger
- Ensure the carrots and pineapple are well-chilled before you start.
- Press the carrots, pineapple and ginger through a juicer and stir in the lemon juice and ground ginger.
- Stir well and serve at once inchilled glasses.