Get the season off to a good star with this fresh menu. You’ll find the recipes in our September issue and download the free shopping list here
600g sushi rice
45ml rice wine vinegar*
15ml castor sugar
4 x 150g salmon fillets
45ml black*and white sesame seeds, toasted
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
45ml pickled ginger*
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced at an angle
1 carrot, peeled, cut
½ small purple cabbage,
80ml creamy mayonnaise
1. Prepare the sushi rice according to the package instructions.
2. While the rice is still warm, stir in the rice wine vinegar, castor sugar and salt and allow to cool to room temperature. Preheat a pan or braai.
3. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Grill for 3–5 minutes per side depending on the thickness, until they’re seared on the outside, but soft and pink
on the inside.
4. Divide the sushi rice among 4 serving bowls and top each with a grilled salmon fillet.
5. Add the remaining ingredients, placing them in colour-blocked groups.
6. Serve at once with the mayonnaise and lime wedges.
COOK’S NOTE* Rice wine vinegar, pickled ginger and black sesame seeds are available at Asian food stores or in large supermarkets. **Sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise make a crisp, green alternative to Edamame beans.