Last updated on 24 May 2017
- 150g butter, softened
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 45ml fresh herbs**, finely chopped
- salt and milled black pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 150g cake flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g fresh white breadcrumbs
- oil, for frying
- seasonal vegetables and potatoes, if desired
- lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the butter, garlic and fresh herbs in a small mixing bowl. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and spoon the butter into the centre. Roll it up into a log shape, twisting the ends of the plastic wrap together. Refrigerate until firm.
- Use a sharp knife to make a deep pocket in each chicken breast, being careful not cut all the way through.
- Stuff slices of herb butter into each chicken breast. Use toothpicks to enclose and secure the filling.
- Place the flour on a plate, the whisked egg in a bowl and the breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Dip and coat each stuffed chicken breast in the flour, shaking off excess. Then coat in the egg and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry each chicken breast for 2–3 minutes, per side or until golden.
- Transfer the chicken to the baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve at once with seasonal vegetables, and if desired, potatoes and lemon wedges.
COOK’S NOTE **Herbs like parsley, chives, basil and thyme work well.