Get the conversation flowing with this home brewed recipe from My Little Black Recipe Book, by MasterChef SA 2014 runner up Siphokazi Mdlankomo, R235, (Metz Press)
- 20 litres water
- 250ml ground ginger
- 2,5kg brown sugar
- 20g instant yeast
- 15ml bicarbonate of soda
- 15ml tartaric acid
- 40ml lemon essence (optional)
- 250g raisins
1. Boil 10 litres of water. Add the ginger and boil for a further 5 minutes.
2. Pour the boiled mixture into a bucket that holds 20 litres.
3. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the remaining water and stir.
4. The water should be tepid. Sprinkle over the yeast and stir.
5. Add the bicarbonate of soda, tartaric acid, lemon essence and the raisins.
6. Mix well. Cover and brew to mature for 12-24 hours.
7. Strain, decant into sterilised glass bottles and refrigerate.
8. Serve well chilled.
(Makes 20 litres)