Indulge in this juicy stone fruits recipe by celeb chef Justin Bonello
(Makes a 23cm tart)
FOR THE PASTRY
100g unsalted butter
1T vegetable oil
3T cold water
1 cup cake flour
pinch ground ginger
FOR THE FILLING
5 white nectarines, pitted and sliced into wedges
zest and juice of ½ lime
small chunk ginger, grated
¼ cup sugar
FOR THE SYRUP
½ cup sugar
small chunk ginger, very thinly sliced
zest of 1 lime
½ cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 200°
2. To make the pastry, mix together the butter, oil, water, sugar and salt in an ovenproof bowl. Pop it into the oven and take it out once the butter is brown (not burnt) and bubbling.
3. Add the flour and ground ginger and stir until properly combined.
4. Once cooled, press the dough into a 23cm loose-bottom tart tin and spread it over the bottom and sides until they’re completely covered. Using a fork, prick some holes into the pastry then blind-bake for about 10 minutes until golden brown. Allow the crust to cool, while you make the filling.
5. Once the pastry has baked, reduce the oven to 180°
6. To make the filling, mix the nectarine slices, lime zest and juice, ginger and sugar together in a bowl.
7. Arrange the sliced fruit on the baked pastry starting on the outside and working your way to the centre. Pour the remaining filling sauce over the fruit, and then pop the tart into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
8. To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer gently until a syrup forms – about 10 minutes.
9. Pour the syrup over the baked tart it while it’s still hot. Serve with whipped cream.