Last updated on 24 October 2016
Try this classic chicken curry dish from Fleur du Cap cellar master Andrea Freeborough and pair it with her Fleur du Cap Chardonnay 2011 (R90)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 30 ml (2T) olive oil
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces such as thighs and legs
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 ml (1T) ground coriander
- 15 ml (1T) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1T) crushed garlic
- 15 ml (1T) grated ginger
- 1x can (400 g) whole peeled tomatoes
- 15 ml (1T) curry powder
- 15 ml (1T) turmeric
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed roughly
- Salt and black pepper
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil in a heavy bottomed casserole until transparent.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add the cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Allow the ingredients to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and a cup of water; stir and add the potatoes, leave to cook for another 30 min or until the potatoes are cooked. Season to taste.
- Serve the curry with Basmati rice, chutney, banana and chopped tomato and cucumber sambals.
- All Fleur du Cap wines are available for purchase online at vinoteque.co.za. For more information visit fleurducap.co.za.
(This recipe serves 4 people)