Try this classic chicken curry dish from Fleur du Cap cellar master Andrea Freeborough and pair it with her Fleur du Cap Chardonnay 2011 (R90)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 30 ml (2T) olive oil
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces such as thighs and legs
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 ml (1T) ground coriander
- 15 ml (1T) ground cumin
- 15 ml (1T) crushed garlic
- 15 ml (1T) grated ginger
- 1x can (400 g) whole peeled tomatoes
- 15 ml (1T) curry powder
- 15 ml (1T) turmeric
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed roughly
- Salt and black pepper
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil in a heavy bottomed casserole until transparent.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add the cardamom, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Allow the ingredients to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and a cup of water; stir and add the potatoes, leave to cook for another 30 min or until the potatoes are cooked. Season to taste.
- Serve the curry with Basmati rice, chutney, banana and chopped tomato and cucumber sambals.
- All Fleur du Cap wines are available for purchase online at vinoteque.co.za. For more information visit fleurducap.co.za.
(This recipe serves 4 people)