Anelle van Tonder, owner of the deli Milk & Honey (021 872 0967), believes that cooking is a joy that you can share. “It’s the love you put in that makes the difference,” she says
- For the cheese gougeres:
- 125g butter, diced
- ½ t salt
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 120g plain flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
- 120g strong tasting cheese, like Gruyère, diced
- 24 slices Parma ham
- rocket and cherry tomato salad
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. To make the gougères: pour 250ml water into a saucepan, heat on the stove and melt the butter. Add the salt and the nutmeg and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the flour all at once and beat well until the mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan.
3. Leave to cool slightly, then whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Whisk until glossy and thick. Fold in the diced cheese.
4. Drop the mixture into well-greased muffin pans (this recipe makes about 12). Bake for 20 minutes then lower the temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 15 minutes until golden brown.
5. Leave to cool slightly and cut a slit 2/3 horizontally across the middle of each gougère. Stuff with 2–3 slices of thinly-shaved Parma ham and serve with the fresh salad.
This recipe serves 8.