Add extra flavour to this French classic by adding bacon and sage and serve with crusty bread. Try the chicken liver pate recipe from Food Stuff, by Tony Jackman, R320, (Human & Rousseau)
- 100ml butter
- 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 200g bacon cubes (cut from thick bacon)
- 200g chicken livers
- 1t ground coriander (seeds, not leaves)
- 6-7 sage leaves, finely shredded
- 2T brandy
- 100ml cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt most of the butter and sauté the onions and garlic until softened.
- Fry the bacon cubes in a separate pan until done.
- Add the chicken livers to the first pan, along with the ground coriander and sage and cook for 3 minutes or so. The livers should be a little pink in the middle.
- Pour over the brandy and flame.
- Pour in the cream and cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Blend until the mixture is coarse rather than smooth. Add the bacon cubes and stir, then spoon into ramekins.
- Melt the rest of the butter and pour over the top.
- Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate.
- Serve with crusty bread.