Prawns are great on the braai and this recipe is quick and easy to prep, tastes amazing and makes an interesting starter
For the marinade
- 3T extra-virgin olive oil
- 3T fresh lemon juice
- 2t paprika
- 1t Tabasco sauce
- 1t coarse sea salt
- 1t ground black pepper
1 kg king prawn tails, peeled and deveined
For the sauce
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2T tomato paste
- 2T minced canned chipotle chilli peppers in adobo sauce
- 2T vodka (optional)
- 1T Worcestershire sauce
- 2t white prepared horseradish
- ¼t coarse sea salt
2 limes, cut into wedges
1. In a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients. Place the prawn tails in a large, resealable plastic bag, and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Prepare the braai for direct cooking over high heat 230°–290°C.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients.
4. Brush the cooking grates clean. Remove the prawns from the bag and discard the marinade.
5. Braai the prawns over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are firm to the touch and just turning opaque in the centre (2–4 minutes) turning once or twice.
6. Serve the prawns warm with the sauce and the lime wedges.
This recipe serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer