Treat yourself or someone you love to this lovely homemade gift. This easy-to-make pick-me-up balm, will definitely be appreciated and you’ll have fun making it.
This pick-me-up balm from Jane Griffith’s book, Jane’s Delicious Herbs (Sunbird Publishers), is fantastic as a calming ointment and makes the perfect homemade pamper treat. “Carry this balm with you and if you are feeling stressed, tired or irritable, rub a little around your ears and on your neck to calm you down,”explains Jane.
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- ½ cup mixed rose petals, the leaves and flowers of rose-scented pelargonium, lavender, California poppy, selfheal, borage and chamomile
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 25g beeswax, grated or chopped
- 10 drops each rose-scented pelargonium, bergamot, lavender and rose essential oils
- Combine the herbs and vegetable oil in a double boiler or a bowl set over a pot of water and heat over a very low heat for 3 hours. (The temperature should not go over 100°C.) Strain the mixture into a bowl or jug and discard the herbs.
- Wipe the double boiler with paper towel and heat the beeswax until it’s just melted. Add the herb-infused oil and stir until it is well mixed.
- Remove from the heat, add the essential oils and stir often as it cools. Transfer to a sterilised storage jar.