Visiting local markets is a great way of spending free time, plus you get to experience the best of Jo’burg food. Art Director Hema Nana visits four of her favourites
*Top Tip: Go early, it gets busy and make a stop on the large rooftop area to take in the beautiful view.
- My favourite food spot: Paul’s Homemade Ice Cream
- Website: neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za
- Address: 73 Juta Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Arts on Main
Arts on Main is open every Sunday from 10h00-15h00 and the night market is open the first Thursday of every month from 19h00-23h00. I’m super excited about the new Arts on Main spin-off market opening in Pretoria later this year.
- My favourite food spot: Fabulous Burger Boys
- Website: marketonmain.co.za
- Address: 264 Fox Street, Newtown, Johannesburg
The Sheds @ 1 Fox
This is a massive indoor market that is open from Friday – Sunday.
- My favourite food spot: Baha Taco
- Website: 1fox.co.za
- Address: 1 Fox Street, Ferreirastown, Johannesburg
Fourways Farmers Market
This beautiful outdoor market is a must-visit. Sit under the Jacarandas or the Maypole Ribbon Marquee, picnic on the lawns or amidst the beautiful plants of their nursery.
Open every Sunday from 10h00-15h00.