What’s on your Heritage Day recipe list? We’ve got the perfect Lentil & roasted vegetable salad with confit garlic recipe for you!
- 125 grams garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup olive oil
Lentil & roasted vegetable salad
- 300 grams red peppers, quarters
- 340 grams red onion, peeled, each cut into 12 edges
- 400 grams green skinned pumpkin,cut into 2 cm wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g mixed tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 litre water
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup parsley leaves, stalks reserved
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, stalks reserved
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Cook garlic and oil together in a pot over a low heat for 40 minutes or until garlic is soft, but not coloured. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Lentil & roasted vegetable salad.
- Preheat the oven to 200oC.
- Place red pepper, onion and pumpkin on an oven tray. Drizzlewith oil and season. Bake for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes to the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- COMBINE lentils, water, bay leaves, reserved parsley and basil stalks together in a pot and bring to the boil over a high heat. Boil, uncovered for 15 minutes. Drain and discard bay leaves and herb stalk. Transfer lentils into a bowl.
- COMBINE 2 tablespoons of the confit garlic oil 1 whole confit garlic clove, zest and juice together in a screw top jar and shake well to combine.
- ADD parsley and basil leaves along with the roasted vegetables to the lentils. Drizzle over garlic dressing and season. Gently mix to combine.
Tip: Be sure to not salt the lentil pot as it will toughen the lentils during cooking. To transport this delicious salad to your favourite picnic spot, simply package ingredients and dressing ginto derparte containers and assemble onsite.