Start any party on high note with these cocktail and canapé combos. They’re so chic, your guests will never guess how simple they were to make!
- 14–16 bamboo skewers, soaked in warm water
- 1 large chicken fillet, sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 250g beef fillet, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin strips
- 15ml oil
- 5ml –10ml pink peppercorns, crushed
- dipping sauce, if desired
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 45ml soy sauce
- 30ml maple syrup
- 15ml rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5ml fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2ml turmeric
- 2ml garam masala
- 15ml fresh coriander or flat-leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Place the chicken and beef into two separate bowls.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients and divide between the chicken and beef. Toss to combine, cover and marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. Thread the chicken and beef strips onto the bamboo skewers. Brush the skewers lightly with oil and grill in a preheated griddle pan. Cook the chicken skewers for 2–3 minutes per side, or until cooked, and the beef skewers for 1–2 minutes per
side or until done to your liking.
4. Scatter the crushed peppercorns over the skewers and serve with a dipping sauce, if desired.
Cook’s note: These skewers are the perfect complement to a ginger, lime and lemongrass fizz (see recipe above).
( Makes 14–16 canapés and serves 4–6.)