Caterer Tamsin Snyman of Bay Gourmet (021 790 3367), daughter of famous foodie Lannice, has inherited her mother’s confident charm and practical style – especially when it comes to entertaining
- 1 ripe quince
- ¼ cucumber
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red or green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 30ml fish sauce
- 30ml sugar
- 15ml lime juice or 30ml lemon juice
- 5ml toasted sesame seeds
1. Peel and core the quince. Slice into fine slivers. Pile in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and set aside for an hour. Rinse the quince under cold running water, drain well and dry thoroughly with a clean tea towel.
2. Using a wide potato peeler, peel the cucumber and slice it lengthwise into ribbons.
3. Mix the dressing ingredients together.
4. Place the quince, cucumber, onions and carrots in a bowl, pour over the dressing and serve chilled.
This recipe serves 4 – 6.