Tantalise your taste buds with this deliciously spicy dish.
4–6 lamb shanks
10 small onions,
3 cloves garlic, crushed
45–60ml ready-made rogan josh curry paste, according
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
410g tin diced tomatoes
410g tin tomato purée
750ml lamb or beef stock
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
basmati rice with coriander chutney and sambals
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Heat 15ml of the oil in a heavy-based ovenproof casserole. Dust the paprika over the lamb shanks and sear in the hot pan for
3–4 minutes, per side. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining 15ml oil. Gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
4. Add the curry paste and cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Stir in the remaining ingredients and return the lamb shanks to the pan.
6. Cover and cook in the oven for 1,5–2 hours, or until the meat is meltingly tender.
7. Serve with the basmati rice, chutney and sambals.