Invite a crowd of friends around to enjoy these pocket-friendly dishes
- 1kg beef short ribs, or lamb or pork ribs, sliced
- 3ml cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20ml fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 80ml dark soy sauce
- 15ml dark brown sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500ml beef stock
- 250g Asian mushrooms, sliced and
- fried (optional)
- rice noodles or wasabi mashed potatoes
- stir-fried vegetables like pak choi
- Season the ribs with cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the ribs on all sides. Transfer them to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Return the pan to the stove and fry the onion and garlic for 4–5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, carrots and celery and cook for 2–3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the cover and cook for a further 30–45 minutes. Stir in the fried mushrooms, if using.
- Serve with rice noodles or wasabi mashed potatoes and stir-fried vegetables.