FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 30ml caster sugar
- 80ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- out or 5ml vanilla extract
- 2ml ground ginger
- 1ml mixed spice
- 4–6 slices panettone or
- fruit bread
- 10ml oil
- 15ml butter
FOR THE HONEY DRESSING
- 60g sugar
- 45ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 1 strip orange peel
- 60ml honey
- 15ml lemon juice
- 250ml mascarpone, softened
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced or segmented
- 1 pomegranate, halved and rubies removed
- icing sugar and mint (optional)
1. To make the French toast, place the eggs, egg yolks and caster sugar in a wide mixing bowl and whisk until pale and fluffy.
2. Add the cream, vanilla seeds or extract, ground ginger and mixed spice and whisk again.
3. Dip each slice of panettone or fruit bread into the creamy mixture, turning to coat both sides, making sure that you use all of the mixture.
4. Arrange the slices of bread in a single layer on a baking tray, while you heat the oil and butter in a wide frying pan or on a flat- top grill.
5. Fry the slices of bread, in batches, for 2–3 minutes per side or until they’re crispy and golden.
6. To make the honey dressing, place the sugar and water in a small pan and gently heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
7. Add the cinnamon, star anise and orange peel. Increase the temperature and cook for 4–5 minutes.
8. Stir in the honey and lemon juice. Allow to cool to room temperature.
9. Serve the French toast at once, topped with some mascarpone, orange segments, pomegranate rubies and a drizzle of honey dressing. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with fresh mint, if desired.