These quick and easy dishes will pack a summery crunch at your next lunch party
FOR THE SALAD:
- 30ml oil
- 4 chicken fillets, sliced
- 3ml Chinese five-spice powder
- 250g assorted Asian mushrooms, trimmed
- 8 baby corns, halved
- 2 baby Savoy cabbages, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 100g sugar snap peas, halved lengthwise
- 1 small Mediterranean cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 50g bean sprouts, optional
- 10g fresh coriander leaves, torn
- 10g fresh mint leaves, torn
- 10g black and/or white sesame seeds, toasted
- 200g rice noodles, cooked and cooled
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 limes, zest and juice
- 60ml fish sauce
- 30ml soft brown sugar
- 45ml light soy sauce
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- To make the dressing: stir the lime zest and juice, fish sauce and sugar together in a non-metallic mixing bowl, until the sugar dissolves. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- To make the salad: heat the oil in a pan and fry the chicken fillets on both sides for 4–5 minutes, or until cooked. Add the Chinese five-spice powder and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove and fry the mushrooms for 3–4 minutes. Add the baby corn and cabbage and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the chicken and the mushroom mixture, plus the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Add half of the dressing and toss again.
- Serve at once with the remaining dressing alongside the salad.
COOK’S TIP: Reserve a few noodles and fry until crispy to add some crunch to your salad. Or replace all of the noodles with oven-toasted two-minute noodles, broken up.