This exotic oriental feast from Thai Africa restaurants is a delight.
- 1 Peking or Kroon duck, about 2,2kg
- mandarin pancakes
- thin slices of spring onions, carrots, cucumber and hoisin sauce, to serve
For the marinade:
- ½t Chinese five-spice powder
- 2T sesame oil
- 4T hoisin sauce
- 3T brown sugar or 2T palm sugar
- 3T water
- 1T dark soy sauce
- ½t grated fresh ginger
1. Mix the marinade ingredients together. Marinate the duck in a covered container for a minimum of 4 hours or preferably overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the duck in a roasting tray and roast for approximately 20 minutes per 500g.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, warm the mandarin pancakes in a bamboo steamer over a pot of boiling water.
4. Slice the duck into bite-sized pieces. Allow guests to make their own wraps by rolling up some of the duck, the spring onions, carrots and cucumber and some extra hoisin sauce in the pancakes.
This recipe serves 8.