Start any party on high note with these cocktail and canapé combos. They’re so chic, your guests will never guess how simple they were to make!
- 1 red pepper
- 10ml plus 20ml extra olive oil
- 10ml balsamic vinegar
- 16 slices Serrano or Parma ham
- 2 ripe peaches, each sliced into 8 segments
- 16 small fresh basil leaves
- milled black pepper
- Preheat the oven to grill. Place the pepper on a roasting tray and rub with 10ml olive oil. Grill, turning frequently, for 2–3 minutes per side, or until the skin has blistered and charred. Transfer to a small, heatproof bowl, cover with clingwrap and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Peel the skin off the cooled pepper, and slice into strips, discarding the seeds. Toss the pepper in the balsamic vinegar and extra olive oil.
- To assemble the canapés: fold a slice of ham in half lengthwise. Arrange a slice of peach, a strip of pepper and basil leaf on top of the ham. Season with pepper and roll up, securing with a toothpick if desired.
Cook’s note: These wraps are the perfect complement to a peach mint julep (see recipe above).
(Makes 16 canapés and serves 4–6.)