- 25 grams butter
- 25 grams of flour
- 250mls (1 cup) meat or vegetable stock
- 5mls (1 teaspoon) mustard
- 45mls (3 tablespoons) port or Marsala
- 1-2 tablespoons good berry preserve
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125mls (½ cup) reserved liquid that the ham cooked in
- Melt butter in saucepan and stir in flour to form a roux.
- Add the mustard and mix in well.
- Add stock gradually, stirring the mixture until it comes to the boil.
- Cook gently for 5-10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the port to the sauce whilst stirring.
- Add the berry preserve and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a little of the strained liquid that was used to cook the ham in to add an extra depth of flavour.