We’ve teamed up with Josie Eveleigh of Where Josie Goes to bring you an exciting online series Feasting in France.
View this post on Instagram
Found the perfect viewpoint at @HotelColonBarcelona for a final goodbye toast to a city that’s stolen our hearts over the past few weeks.⠀ ⠀ Barcelona, we’ll miss you and the guarantee of daily siestas, sunset swims at 9pm and mostly, that we don’t even feel bad smashing a paella for dinner, because you’re so beautiful – we’d happily walk ⠀ 100 000 steps a day to get to know you better. ⠀ ⠀ #VivaEspana
Follow Josie’s cooking adventures in France as she joins well-known South African chef and author Marlene van der Westhuizen in her home in Charroux to learn how to cook French style. If you missed last week’s recipes, click here.
This week’s recipes are for Haddock Gratin and a decadent chocolate hazelnut and toffee cake. Let us know if you try them out by tagging us on Instagram using the hashtag #FeastinginFrance.
RECIPE FOR HADDOCK GRATIN
FOR THE BÉCHAMEL SAUCE
500ml full cream milk
2 bay leaves
salt and white pepper, to taste
FOR THE HADDOCK AND POTATO
8 medium potatoes, cooked and peeled
250g smoked haddock, flaked
handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
6 salad onions, finely chopped
250g mature Cheddar or Gruyère cheese, grated
6T Parmesan, freshly grated
rocket and fresh basil salad (optional)
1. First prepare the béchamel by melting the butter in a medium pan over a low heat. Stir in the flour until you have a smooth paste.
2. Slowly add the milk while stirring until the white sauce is creamy and thickens. Add the bay leaves and nutmeg and simmer for about 6 minutes stirring regularly.
3. Remove the bay leaves, taste, and season.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Mash the potatoes roughly in a large bowl.
6. Fold in the haddock, parsley, salad onions and grated Cheddar or Gruyère cheese using a fork.
7. Spoon about 250ml of the béchamel sauce into the bowl and mix together well.
8. Pour the haddock and potato mixture into six small gratin dishes (or one large one)
9. Spoon the rest of the béchamel on top, dust with Parmesan and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
10. Serve immediately with a rocket and fresh basil salad.