With the fresh breeze of summer in full swing, it’s time to improve the garden with these clever budget-friendly ideas.
Gardening doesn’t have to be costly, keep your plants looking good by using what you’d usually throw away:
- Walking on eggshells. Not only are eggs good for you, their shells can also add a much-needed nutrition boost to your garden. Egg shells release calcium into the soil, helping to nourish plants while also acting as a pest deterrent (thanks to the sharp edges). So, next time you crack open an egg, let the shells dry out, crush them and sprinkle them around your plants.
- Go bananas! After you’ve enjoyed your banana, simply slice up the peel and mix them into the soil to give plants a potassium boost. If you have roses, they will also benefit – it’s especially good for them!
- I love it when the coffee’s done! Not only is coffee a great way to start your day, it’s also a pest deterrent. When your next pot of coffee is finished, scatter the old grounds into your garden instead of tossing them away.
- Cup of tea, anyone? Tea is a great natural fertiliser that deters unwanted slugs and snails. After making your favourite cup of rooibos, break the bag and sprinkle the tea leaves over the beds.
- Collect and compost. Making a compost heap might take time, but it will definitely be worth it. Start with small branches and twigs to create ventilation at the bottom of the pile then add garden and household waste – alternate layers of green (grass clippings, household waste) with brown (dry leaves, twigs, newspaper). Use more brown than green waste to prevent your compost from becoming wet and smelly. Keep the heap moist by watering when necessary.
At MiWay, we don’t just insure your beautiful home with home insurance – we enable you to concentrate on the things that make you happy – like working in your garden. We want you to live life your way.
Get an online insurance quote from MiWay today for an insurance premium tailored to your home.