Enjoy luxury safari lodge cuisine at home with a selection of delicious recipes taken from the cookbook ‘Gourmet Safari’ by Donovan van Staden
- 700ml fresh cream
- 2 full-flavour tea bags of rooibos tea
- zest of 1 orange
- 8 egg yolks
- 170g castor sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 50g castor sugar for the caramel sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Place the cream, tea bags and orange zest in a saucepan and heat until just about to oil.
- Beat the egg yolks with the castor sugar until light and fluffy.
- Remover the tea bags from the cream mixture and stir the cream into the egg mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence and pass the mixture through a sieve.
- Pour the mixture into individual ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan half-filled with hot water.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes to create a good skin on top.
- Once cooled, sprinkle the top of the set custard with a thin layer of castor sugar.
- Using a blowtorch melt the sugar until it is golden brown in colour.
- Refrigerate overnight.
This recipe serves 10 people.