Keep the cold at bay with this easy menu and a bottle of good red wine.
2 large brinjals
45ml olive or avocado oil
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g lamb mince
5ml cumin seeds
15ml ground coriander
10ml harissa paste
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
45ml fresh coriander, chopped
1 x 400g jar tomato-based pasta sauce
FOR THE TOPPING
250g crème fraiche
2 eggs, whisked
2 anchovy fillets,
60ml Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Slice the brinjals, lengthwise into long thin strips. Brush each side with some olive or avocado oil.
2. Heat a griddle pan to high heat and cook the brinjal slices, in a single layer, for 2–3 minutes per side or
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
4. Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking until browned. Stir in the cumin seeds, ground coriander
and harissa paste. Cook
for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
5. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh coriander. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
7. Pour the pasta sauce into an ovenproof dish.
8. Lay a brinjal slice on
a chopping board and place 2 tablespoons of the mince mixture at one end then
roll it up into a cannelloni-like shape.
9. Place it folded side down in the baking dish on top of the sauce. Repeat with the remaining brinjals and mince mixture placing them in a single layer.
10. Combine all the topping ingredients together and spoon over the brinjal rolls.
11. Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes. Serve with a green salad and top with fresh coriander, if desired.