Keep the cold at bay with this easy menu and a bottle of good red wine.
80g sultanas and/or raisins
125ml freshly brewed
30ml sherry or orange juice
8–10 thick slices raisin bread
or white bread
50g butter at
2 egg yolks
60ml castor sugar
5ml vanilla extract
icing sugar, for
cream, custard or ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 5cm-deep baking dish or six ramekins.
2. Place the sultanas and/or raisins in a small, heatproof bowl and cover with the hot Rooibos tea and sherry or orange juice. Set aside for 15 minutes.
3. Butter both sides of each slice of bread.
4. Sandwich the slices together with a layer of marmalade and cut each in half diagonally, then again into quarters.
5. Arrange half the bread triangles in rows in the prepared dish or dishes.
6. Drain the soaked fruits and sprinkle half over the top. Repeat with the remaining bread and fruit.
7. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and pour over the bread mixture. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
8. Place the dish or ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for about 30–35 minutes, for a large pudding, or about 20–25 minutes for individual puddings, or until golden and set.
9. Dust the tops with icing sugar, if desired. Serve warm with cream, custard or ice cream.