Make entertaining less stressful with this quick and easy make-ahead dessert
For the filling
- 2–3 ripe peaches or nectarines, chopped
- 500g frozen mixed berries
- 2ml ground ginger
- 125ml castor sugar
- 20ml cornflour
- 3–5ml rose essence, or to taste
For the crumble
- 125ml cake flour
- 125ml light brown sugar
- 80ml flaked almonds or mixed chopped nuts
- 80ml oats
- 1ml salt
- 100g cold butter, cubed
- crème fraîche mixed with icing sugar and lime zest, whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix all the filling ingredients together in a bowl and divide amongst 6 ramekins.
- Place all the crumble ingredients, excluding the butter, in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the cold butter and gently rub the butter into the flour mixture using your fingertips. Keep the mixture loose and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the berry mixture and transfer the ramekins to a baking tray.
- Bake for 25–35 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crispy and the fruit is bubbling and saucy.
- Serve warm with crème fraîche mixed with icing sugar and lime zest, whipped cream or ice cream.
COOK’S NOTE You can make this dessert earlier in the day. Don’t refrigerate it; keep at room temperature, and reheat at 180°C for 10–12 minutes before serving. Alternatively, make the fruit base in advance and top with the crumble mixture when ready to bake.