Keep a can or two of All Gold Chopped Peeled Tomatoes on hand this winter to add flavour to soups, stews and spicy curries. For even more variety, try their Mexican, Indian, Italian and Mediterranean Style flavours
- 100g butter
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 knob ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cans ALL GOLD Chopped Tomatoes
- 15ml salt
- 15ml turmeric
- 5ml chilli powder
- 15ml ground cumin
- 15ml ground coriander
- 4ml curry paste
- 65ml ALL GOLD Peach Jam
- 1kg stewing lamb
- Olive oil
- 500ml water
- 2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 6 curry leaves
- 45ml chopped fresh coriander
- 10ml garam masala
- roti or rice
- sambals, sliced banana and coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy-based frying pan and sauté the onions until lightly browned and caramelised. (Don’t rush this step, it’s important.) Remove the caramelised onions and set aside.
3. Combine the garlic, ginger, tomatoes, salt and all the spices including the jam in a food processor and blend together to form a coarse paste.
4. Brown the lamb in the same saucepan in which the onions were cooked and add a bit of oil, if necessary. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
5. Add the spicy tomato paste, caramelised onions, water, chillies and curry leaves. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
6. Remove from the oven. Check the seasoning and stir in the fresh coriander and garam masala.
7. Serve over rice or with roti, with sambals, sliced banana and coconut.
Serves 6 people