Last updated on 18 October 2017
Katherine Barlow, owner of Dirt Therapy nursery in Kranshoek, Plettenberg Bay, gives her tips on potting up succulents
- Select a small terracotta pot – the perfect pot is quite shallow. If necessary, disinfect your pot with a solution of one part household bleach to nine parts water.
- Add sand and gravel and fill the pot with ordinary potting soil.
- Choose a small succulent like echeveria. Try Echeveria elegans or E. ‘Violet Queen’.
- Make a hole in the centre of the soil with a pencil or dibber and insert the stem of the plant. Firm the soil around it.
- Water lightly. Place the pot in a sunny, well-ventilated spot. Don’t fertilise your succulent as it may lose colour. Water twice a week in summer and once a week in winter.
If you love succulents make sure to check out these articles as well:
Dirt Therapy dirttherapy.co.za