Suitable plant selections
- Always select plants with similar water and light requirements.
- Pick an attractive, slightly taller focal plant and position it in the centre of the basket. Try fuchsias, New Guinea impatiens, miniature roses or argyranthemum.
- Choose trailing plants for the edges, such as alyssum, lobelias, cascading petunias and scaevola.
- Fill in gaps with annuals like lobelias, begonias, torenias, diascias and plants with interesting foliage, such as Plectranthus madagascariensis, lamb’s ear and coleus.
Caring for your basket
- Add a water-retaining polymer such as Stockosorb to the soil before planting to help retain water and nutrients.
- Place your basket in a spot suited to the chosen plants’ needs and avoid positions where it will be in the hot, midday sun.
- Water your hanging basket every day for the first month after planting and every second day after that.
- Feed twice a month with a fertiliser like Multifeed P or Nitrosol.
- Remove spent blooms to keep your basket looking tidy.