Decor pioneers Celeste van Lingen and Lyrene Zimmerman take a side table from plain to pretty
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- A clean cloth
- Paint stripper
- A putty knife
- 100-grit sandpaper
- A sponge roller
- INCdecor non-drip enamel paints of your choice
- INCdecor wallpaper of your choice
- A craft knife
- A metal ruler
- A cutting board
- Alcolin wallpaper adhesive
- A clean paintbrush
- A sponge
- A cabinet handle
- Gold spray paint
- An electric drill/Hilti
- A screwdriver
PREPARING AND PAINTING THE TABLE
1. If your side table has been painted previously, wash down the entire unit using turpentine and a cloth.
2. Apply the paint stripper and once it has activated, remove the old paint using a putty knife.
3. Sand down the side table with 100-grit sandpaper.
4. Wipe the dust off with a damp cloth.
5. Using a paint roller, apply a darker shade of non-drip enamel to the top part of the side table. We chose INCdecor’s Ocean Blues Dark.
6. Create interest by painting the rest of the side table in a lighter shade such as Ocean Blues Light.
7. Leave to dry completely.
8. Choose a coordinating wallpaper, such as Ocean Blues Trellis. Cut to fit the lower shelf using a craft knife and a steel ruler.
9. Mix the Alcolin wallpaper adhesive according to the manufacturer’s instructions and apply it to the back of the wallpaper using a clean paintbrush.
10. Smooth the wallpaper on to the shelf using a sponge.
TO CREATE THE FAKE DRAWER
11. Paint your chosen handle with gold spray paint and allow to dry.
12. Position the handle in the centre of the side table and mark the position of the holes with a pencil.
13. Make the holes with the electric drill and attach the handle with screws using a screwdriver.