Get your old cutlery out of the drawer for this easy DIY home decor project. Upcycling expert Sacha Olivier, of Once Upon A Time, demonstrates how easy it is to make a pendant light from old knives, forks and spoons
- Lead wire
- Old cutlery
- Wire clippers
- A support piece – such as a cake stand or colander
- Electrical cord
- A light bulb holder and a light bulb
How to do it:
- Select the cutlery and lay it out to see how many pieces you’ll need.
- Cut about 20cm of wire and wrap it securely around the top of each piece of cutlery.
- Attach it to the cake stand.
- Take care to space each piece evenly. The decorative edge on this cake stand makes it a good choice because it’s easy to thread the wire through the openings.
- Next, drill a hole in the centre of the cake stand, big enough for the electrical cord, and then thread the cord through the hole and attach the light bulb holder.
- Ask a qualified electrician to connect the pendant to the ceiling wiring.
- Insert the light bulb after your pendant has been safely fitted.
Tip: Leave out the wiring and use the pendant as a mobile, or hang it in the garden as wind chimes.
Once Upon A Time [email protected]