Who doesn’t love a good serving of Mexican food with a side of guacamole? Try this easy recipe from Braai the Beloved Country, by Jean Nel, R185, (Jacana Media)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 red pepper, deseeded
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded
- 6 tortilla wraps
- 250ml sour cream
- Guacamole *see recipe*
For the Mexican rub
- 15ml brown sugar
- 15ml cumin
- 15ml chilli powder
- 15ml garlic powder
- 15ml onion powder
- 15ml smoked paprika
Spicy tomato salsa
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 red chilli, chopped fine
- handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all the Mexican run ingredients together. Add to the chicken breasts and give it a good massage.
2. To mix the salsa, combine the tomatoes, onion, chilli and coriander leaves.
3. Drizzle the lemon juice over and season with salt and black pepper.
4. Braai the chicken breasts on a medium-to-high fire for 6-8 minutes per side or until golden.
- Braai the onions and peppers at the same time. You may use a griddle pan for the vegetables.
- Braai the tortilla wraps. This should take just a few seconds as you only need to warm them up.
6. Remove the chicken, vegetables and tortillas from the braai. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes.
7. Slice the chicken. Paint the tortilla wraps with guacamole and sour cream. Serve with the spicy tomato salsa and braaied onions and peppers.