Last updated on 14 May 2019
Try this oxtail potjiekos recipe, from Food Stuff, by Tony Jackman, R320, (Human & Rousseau), over the weekend and serve it with homemade bread
- 2T butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 1 heaped t cornflour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 100–200 ml Old Brown Sherry
- 1 cup cold water
- 1t ground ginger
- leaves of 4–5 oregano sprigs
- 1T raspberry (or apple) jelly
- 1–2 stout oxtails
- Heat the potjie over hot coals, but have plenty of coals on the go so that you can add more over the course of 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in the potjie, and add the chopped onion, crushed garlic, diced carrots and sliced celery.
- Allow to simmer, stirring now and then, until the vegetables have softened.
- Sprinkle over a little cornflour, stir to coat, and cook for a minute or two, stirring.
- Add the red wine, sherry, water, ginger, oregano and jelly, stir well, and return to a gentle simmer.
- Add the oxtail chunks, bring back to a simmer, and cook on a gentle heat for 4-6 hours.