Cape Town designer Georgina Bagg’s secrets to creating a space that’s both comfy and stylish
A mix of rich fabrics, classic furniture and different textures give this large, formal living room a sense of opulence and comfort.
Cape Town designer Georgina Bagg, whose signature style is classic with a contemporary twist, focused the seating area of this large open-plan living space around a stunning stone fireplace. “I kept the tones neutral and muted to create a luxurious, sophisticated feel.”
- By using textured fabrics, like the rich bouclé weave on the chaise, Georgina introduced a feeling of warmth and elegance. “The chaise was designed with upholstered arms on either side for a more comfortable, relaxing lie-down.”
- “The owner of the house has a wonderful collection of antiques, including this wine cooler which serves as a beautiful tea table with a silver tray and coffee pot; the deep colour of the wood and gleaming silver evoke the extravagance of the periods from which they originate,” says Georgina.
- The round side table covered with a thickly-lined tablecloth provides a soft base for a collection of family photographs; the base of the cloth is rolled to skim the oak flooring which gives a sense of sumptuousness.
- A pile of soft throws has been placed on the ottoman so that they’re within easy reach on chilly evenings. It’s also the favoured napping spot of the family pets.
- An old copper bin contains logs for the fire and is left there throughout the year to give a nostalgic, relaxed feel. On nippy evenings it’s only a question of lighting a match to add a cosy glow to the room.