- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 500g ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 300g ricotta
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- salt and milled black pepper, to taste
FOR THE VEGETABLE RIBBONS*
- red onion
- baby marrow
- fennel bulb
- 15ml vinaigrette dressing
- 10ml poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic and onion over a very low heat, covered, for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the onions have softened, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Fold in the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon juice and zest, season to taste and set aside until ready to use.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut out circles of pastry to the desired size: smaller for bite-sized and larger for individual starter portions. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush the edge of the pastry circle with beaten egg and place a 1cm strip of pastry around the rim to create a raised rim. Brush this with more beaten egg.
- Bake the pastry cases for 15–20 minutes (smaller cases will bake faster).
- To make the ribbons, cut all the vegetables into wafer thin slices using a knife, mandolin or vegetable peeler.
- Remove the pastry cases from the oven, top with the filling and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Toss the vegetable mixture in the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Arrange the vegetable mixture on the tartlets and scatter the poppy seeds over the top.
- Serve the tarts slightly warm or at room temperature.
COOK’S NOTE *You can use any seasonal veggies of your choice. You will only need a few of each.