Try Jane Griffiths’ bottled beetroot. With its ruby red pickling liquid, this has to be one of the most beautiful of all bottled vegetables on a pantry shelf. For flavour variations, add some herbs and spices, such as fresh mint and cumin seeds, to the vinegar before bringing to the boil
- 6 medium beetroots
- 200ml brown vinegar
- 200ml red wine
- 1t salt
- 1T peppercorns (optional)
- Place the beetroots in a pot and just cover with water. Boil for about 25 minutes until softened.
- Remove the beetroots and reserve the water. Peel them if they have thick skins. Cut the beetroots into pieces that will fit into your bottles.
- Measure 400ml of the beetroot water and add it to a pot with the vinegar, wine, salt and peppercorns. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot pieces and bring back to the boil. Turn off the heat and ladle the beetroot into sterilised bottles making sure they are covered with liquid.
- Seal and store in your pantry.