Jazz up roasts and grills, toasted sandwiches and even morning eggs with Peppadew relishes, from R21,99, which come in hot and mild versions
- 4 soft hamburger rolls with sesame seeds
- butter, for spreading
- 600g lean beef mince
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30ml olive oil, for frying
- 200g mature cheddar cheese, sliced
- creamy mayonnaise, for spreading
- 4–8 crispy iceberg lettuce / butter lettuce leaves, washed & drained
- 4–8 slices of tomato
- 4 medium pickled gherkins, sliced
- Peppadew Hamburger Relish, for topping
- Slice each hamburger roll open horizontally and butter both cut sides. Toast the buttered sides in a hot pan until golden brown. Set aside.
- Divide the mince into 4 equal balls. Shape each ball into a flattened disk that is a little wider than the rolls (it will shrink when cooked).
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then fry on both sides in a hot pan (with olive oil) until cooked to your liking.
- For the last minute of cooking, top the patties with cheddar slices and cover the pan with a lid (for the cheese to melt). Transfer to a plate to rest while you get the rest of the burger ready.
- On each plate, start with the toasted rolls. Spread the bottom half generously with mayonnaise, then top with a large slice of lettuce, 1 or 2 slices of tomato, the cooked beef patty with melted cheese, sliced gherkins and a generous dollop of Peppadew Hamburger Relish. Place the sesame half of the roll on top and fasten with a skewer. Serve immediately.